Meriva 1.3cdti Timing Chain

Discussion in 'Meriva' started by JG23, Aug 11, 2022.

1. JG23

JG23

Hi all,

I've got a 2008 Meriva 1.3cdti that's recently started making an unpleasant rattling whenever the engine has steady rpm. A mechanic has had a listen and said the timing chain needs replacing (he's said it's likely to be the tensioner or guides that have gone as the chains are meant to be very sturdy). It's gutting really as the car only has 75k on it and went through its MOT only a few weeks ago with no issues.

Every garage I've turned to has turned it away as apparently with it being the fiat multijet engine the job is almost a full engine out deal and it'll cost what the car is worth to replace. Vauxhall themselves quoted over £1500 and that's if that's all that is needed.

It seems then that it's next home is the scrapyard. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with loose chains on these engines, and if it's likely to jump a link easily or not? It's not going to be worth much as scrap anyway so I was considering just running it till it gave up as I only travel locally and with the price of cars being what they are still I'd rather wait till the winter to replace it.

Better yet, if anyone has a magic fix for it that would help too!

Thanks

JG23, Aug 11, 2022
  2. JG23

Elektra77

Had the exact same issue and got my brother to replace it. Absolute pig of a job as almost the whole thing has to be taken apart. It was the plastic tensioners that had gone and yes it was a nightmare. see if you can find a local mechanic that wants a cash in hand job. The kit was around £100 to buy, my biggest mistake was not replacing the oil pump at the same time as it’s under the same cover and now has to be taken apart for this to be done.
    Also check you injectors as mine sounded like a tractor because of leaking injectors and the timing chain. Mine had done around 100k apparently they should last a life time if it’s well maintained, but are known for going in the corsas all the time- so clearly not

Elektra77, Jan 21, 2023
Ask a Question