I'm scared to change the oil because I think I stripped the sump threads last time, but it needsdoin

Discussion in 'Vectra' started by Rightboy91, May 11, 2020.

1. Rightboy91

Rightboy91

My car is at 198,000 on the clock.
    The engine on it has been brilliant and I want to ensure despite it's high mileage that it will continue to be reliable as possible and oil changes are essential for that
    I have covered over 60 k in the 3 years I've owned it. I was getting the oil and filter changed on it every 5,000 miles or so but at the last oil change at 180,000 miles I made a mistake

As I was getting sump plug out I accidentally had ratchet on tighten and not loosen at first, I realised my mistake and put it on loosen and got out the sump plug easy enough.
    However when putting the plug back in, it was very tight and I think I used 2 hands to force the plug back in. It is in and is not leaking.The sump plug itself did not appear damaged in any way.

However now it has been 18,000 miles since the oil change and the car is high mileage I really need to get this done. I have been putting it off over the last year , I usually would have done about another 3 oil changes on it by by now.

Can anyone tell me what I might expect to be up against when I next do the oil on it, would a different size sump plug be a good idea ? thanks

Rightboy91, May 11, 2020
Ask a Question