Can the handbrake be adjusted on a Vectra 1.9 120 bhp ?

Discussion in 'Vectra' started by Rightboy91, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Rightboy91

Rightboy91

Hi all
    My car is a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI 120 bhp , 57 plate.

About 10 weeks ago I changed the rear discs, pads and calipers on it. Aftrward I thought the handbrake felt quite slack holding on about 6- 7 clicks and even then it would creak, yet it passed it's mot with it no problem.

A few weeks later I decided to try and stifen the handbrake up a little.
    It turned out the little caliper return spring on the caliper wasn't on right as it popped off and I had to bend it with pliers to make it stretch back on. I didn't know to begin with that was all it needed so I had disconnected the handbrake cable a few times.
    Then I noticed the wheel locked up with handbrake cable attached and the rear brakes smoke and get red hot, with cable unattced the wheel spins freely and the brakes don't smoke.
    When the handbrake is applied the cable does operate and the handbrake holds firm but the wheel locks up.

Does anybody know how I should go about resolving this ? It is a self adjusting handbrake as the handbrake is intergrated to the caliper, yet I have been told it may still be adjusted ?

please help

Rightboy91, Dec 1, 2019
Ask a Question