2011 Zafira Diesel no one knows......

Discussion in 'Zafira' started by helpmeplease, Aug 8, 2019.

1. helpmeplease

helpmeplease

Hey,

I am hoping and praying someone on here might be able to offer some sort of insight from experience or knowledge about what is going on with my car as both my mechanic and the vauxhall dealership themselves have so far got nowhere & I'm getting a bit despondent to say the least.

Haven't owned a car in 10 years but my family has finally got to a size where I actually need one, and a 7 seater at that as public transport is not great and is bloody expensive and I have family / friends hundreds of miles away to visit and also just like to get out of the city as much as possible so in feb this year I purchased a 2nd hand vauxhall zafira 2011 diesel as this seemed to be a pretty good option to cover all my needs. It had 12 months MOT, Full service history and 2 owners from new BUT over 150,000 miles on the clock. New this was high and so risky but went with it as my budget was specific and it was basically what I could afford. I was sold it for £1500 as the gearbox is whining and will need to be changed whenever it drops and this will be a good £1600 or there abouts reconditioned but again all things considered I was ok to start saving, drive it until gearbox gave out and be prepared to cover that when it came too it as everything else seemed a worthwhile investment.

A month after getting it, for about 5 minutes it was kangerooing all of a sudden as if the fuel wasn't getting through right or something and this was with a full tank of fuel. Pulled up, turned it off thinking that I'd been done by the dealer and ready to rage and then turned it back on and off it drove, absolutely fine. Called my mechanic to tell him and ask for a service as it was due one anyway and he then did a service on it, said there was some error code coming up about the immobiliser but that he'd wiped this as didn't think it meant anything right now. His opinion was that the car was well looked after and I'd got myself a bargain.

Fast forward 4 months to July and one day it started kangarooing again. This time it did it for a good 10 minutes I reckon so parked it up and left it for an hour or so and then low and behold it started up and acted like nothing was going on. Called my mechanic again who asked if there were any engine management lights on which at this point I didn't think there was and he said just turn it off and on if it does it again as it sounds like it could be electrical and then wait for a light to come on or until it just becomes too bigger issue to drive with and bring it in. Didn't drive it for about a week after that, then drove it a few miles and all seemed ok on that trip. Then I drove it 45 miles a few days later. All good on the way there, it was parked up for about 2 hours and then as soon as I started trying to drive it back it started not only kangarooing but seemed sometimes to be struggling to accelerate at all. It was ok in neutral, not stalling, sometimes revving a little but this would start and stop randomly but in 1st it would either have acceleration but be jumping or just no acceleration. Same in the other gears whenever it kept driving enough to change them up. Had to pull up and restart it several times to make it back the 45 miles I drove but did eventually make it home. At this point I thought I must be missing something so googled error codes etc and found out about pressing on the accelerator and brake and then turning key in the ignition some way without starting it to get the codes. There were 2 codes, once was relating to the immobiliser and airbags and the other seemed to be saying it could be related to either - accelerator pedal position, throttle position or something to do with sensors. I found that out by googling the codes I was given.

I called my mechanic who said to bring it in and he would plug it in to his diagnostic machine, when he did this he said there were lots of codes coming up about the electrics in the vehicle and one which vauxhall hadn't released to them yet and he seemed very unconfident about starting to work on it with this as he said he may just waste my money and time and not be able to pin point the actual issue. Advised I go to vauxhall dealership to have to tested which I then did. Their report literally says for electrics - No current codes, service light on, service due causing vehicle to not be able to do a regen, recommendation required.

They also recommend new gearbox and clutch but thats just to stop the whining which sometimes happens when driving.

My mechanic got this, and did a regen - now apparently the car wouldn't start at all for 10 minutes yesterday morning and he seems really unconfident in working on it any further. I have called vauxhall who are taking it back in free of charge next week to plug it back in but really.......what is going on? I get error codes - so does the mechanic, vauxhall say there are none. I'm throwing money at it and its getting worse. New baby due in 2 weeks and desperately need a working vehicle.......any idea????

(so sorry about the huge essay, I'm awful at making a long story short)

Abi

helpmeplease, Aug 8, 2019
Ask a Question