2007 Astra H Auto box not using all gears

Discussion in 'Astra' started by mactoshb, Mar 6, 2021.

1. mactoshb

mactoshb

Hi, I have not long had a 2007Astra H with a 4 speed auto box and it is taking off in 3rd or 4th, (Dead slow) then it changes into two followed by either 3rd or 4th, when driving and I pull the lever from 4th to 3rd there is no change in either the rev counter or the sound, I cannot tell if it is driving in top gear or in third.
    It is definitely not taking off in first gear and I don't think it starts in second either, although when I use the lever to start in first it goes like the clappers so i don't doubt first gear is working, except in automatic mode.
    Does this sound like a mechanical problem or an electronic one, electronics would probably mean it might be corrected by a replacement to a control unit outside the box (Meaning the box would not have to come out? )
    Any recommendation by someone who has more knowledge than me would be very welcome
    As i said I don't know whether it ends up driving in 3rd or 4th when it climbs up the gears the dash readout goes 1, 2, 3, and 4 but if on a drive I pull the lever back to 3rd the readout changes but there is no noticeable change in engine note, nor does the rev counter change, no idea if these boxes have a kickdown as my old Rover P6 used to have but if it should have that does not work either, as I say I don't know if it drives in 3rd or 4th but it does not appear to lack power when overtaking and I suspect it is not going into fourth, when changing up in auto it goes up from 1 to 2 but then although it shows 3 and then four there does not appear to be an actual change, so I think it ether goes from 2 straight to 4 or never leaves 3 and as I am only getting about 29MPG, that would be explained (In my ignorance) the high fuel consumption if it is not in the top gear?
    Thanks boyd (mactoshb

mactoshb, Mar 6, 2021
Ask a Question